Spinrite is North America’s largest manufacturer of craft yarn. As an industry leader focused on driving growth and execution excellence, we are looking for a Health and Safety (H&S) Coordinator to support our teams through a period of rapid growth.
Reporting to the Health and Safety Manager, the H&S Coordinator will play a key role in maintaining the health and safety of our workplace by being a champion of health and safety across the organization. Key activities for this role will include both day-to-day health and safety functions as well as maintaining an effective integrated health and safety program.
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone who is looking to gain experience in the field of Health and Safety. As our organization continues to grow, this position will be exposed to a variety of functions and will be part of a dynamic environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate, plan and conduct orientation or safety related training by working with managers, HR and H&S representatives to identify training needs.
- Coordinate and facilitate safety talks for key H&S topics
- Coordinate and facilitate the Joint Health and Safety Committee(s) (JHSC) and Emergency Response Teams including minutes, inspections, follow ups, communications, training and compliance.
- Ensure that the company is in compliance and adheres to the guidelines set by the OHSA.
- Maintain safety records and tracking.
- Develop new/review current Health and Safety policies. Contribute to the creation of and/or maintenance of instructional documents, such as safe operating procedures, work procedures and training documents.
- Remain current with legislation and regulation changes.
- Direct and assist with accident and near miss investigations procedures.
- Assist with OHSA and MOL investigations.
- Assist with maintaining the emergency preparedness and response plans and procedures for all Canadian locations and Washington, N.C.
- Support proactive Health & Safety initiatives to minimize/eliminate risk and safety issues.
- Conduct ergonomic assessments.
- Assist with environmental reporting requirements such as NPRI, TSRA, waste audits, HWIN, Ontario Stewardship.
- Prepare and maintain monthly, quarterly, and year end H&S reports and statistics. Make recommendations to H & S Manager based on trends.
- Work strategically with other Spinrite employees to enhance our H&S culture.
- Works in a safe manner and meets company safety requirements.
- Promote health and safety awareness among all employees with a focus on injury prevention.
- Network with other OH&S professionals to stay updated on best practices.
- Other duties as assigned
- A college diploma in a field related to H&S or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- 2-3 years of industry experience, preferably in a manufacturing and/or distribution setting
- Knowledge of all applicable HR and H&S legislation and related company policies
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint, Microsoft Teams)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Organization and time management skills
- Must be able to meet deadlines, handle multiple tasks with interruptions, and effectively adapt to changing priorities
- Train-the-trainer or experience planning and delivering safety training programs would be considered an asset
- Experience with claims management would be considered an asset
- Access to reliable vehicle is preferred as some travel between the facilities is required
Spinrite is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and all applicants for employment without regard to any status protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code, US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and applicable state law. If you need assistance or accommodations during any part of the application or interview process, please contact us at 519-291-3780 and asked to be transferred to HR.